What's new on this website
November 10, 2015
- Data has undergone a second "cleaning" correcting some previously uncorrected errors/problems.
- The number of acres was determined in most cases where complex measurements were used. For example, "6 acres 80 poles" was converted to 6.5 acres. Previously it was left blank.
- The website had a minor software upgrade along with some web page changes. The only new major feature is the Books page which allows you to display the image
of a specific patent book and page number, including books that aren't directly linked to grants such as 111A.
October 23, 2015
- Page images for ALL Patent Books 1-198 are online and have been linked to any grant that has a
valid book/page reference - approximately 200,000 grants with all counties represented.
- Loose document images (warrants, surveys, etc.) for the following counties are now online: Caswell, Orange, Person, Wake, and Wilkes. They
are currently not directly linked to grants, but a search facility is provided that will take you to the approximate location of the images and you
can scan thumbnails to find them.
December 5, 2014
- Page images for Patent books 31-43 are online and have been linked to 6,870 grants
from the following counties: Wake, Johnston, Guilford, Orange, Granville, Caswell, Surry,
Pitt, Bladen, Chatham, Duplin, and 20 more. There are now a total of 15,647 pages from
Land Patent Books 1-43, representing 42,995 grants from 1663 through 1784.
- 14,000 loose document images (warrants, surveys, etc.) for Wilkes County Grant
Files 1-2832 are online. They are currently not directly linked to grants, but a search
facility is provided that will take you to the approximate location of the images and you
can scan thumbnails to find them.
- The contents of the "More ..." column on the Query Results was recoded to make it clear there
is always more information available when you click on it. The codes for the different types
of information available have been abbreviated as follows:
Text=text only, Pat=Patent Book image, Wnt=Warrant image, Srv=Survey image,
Rcp=Receipt image, Oth=Other image, Shuck=Empty shuck image
- This website received the 2014 award for Excellence in Web Presence from the
North Carolina Genealogical Society
October 26, 2014
- Users can customize the fields they wish to see in the Query results list. Name,
County, Location, and Acres will always appear, and any combination of Entered, Issued,
Entry #, Grant #, Warrant #, Book, Page, File #, Call # and MARS ID may be selected.
- Registered users can save any combination of Query page settings for their default, not
just the county as before. For example, a default sort field, oldest year, etc. can be
set. These defaults can be overridden as needed, but whenever the Query page is revisited
it will reset to the user's defaults. Saving defaults is done by simply setting the desired values
on the Query page itself and clicking the new “Save Settings” button. These defaults can
be changed as often as needed, and the last saved settings will be remembered the next time
the user signs in. County defaults (name, border counties, etc.), if any, will also be used on the Index page, but
can only be set from the Query page.
- Book/Page has been added as a Sort option.
- There is a new “Reset Form” button on the Query page which clears values and sets the
settings to the user's defaults.
Content on this website not originating from the State Archives of North Carolina is Copyright 2015 by David M. McCorkle